Krčínův dům, Kájovská 54
Krčínův Dům is one of the most precious monuments in the historical centre of Český Krumlov. It is a three-storey corner building with Renaissance plasterwork facade, intricately painted, with its origins dating back to the 14th century. In the 16th century it then underwent extensive Rennaissance conversion when the exceptionally precious decoration of facade was painted. It is almost certainly the work of artists who worked for Vilém of Rožmberk on Český Krumlov castle.
According to the oldest records, the building belonged to the master brewer, Mikuláš, and then afterwards to his son, Tomáš, who had the nickname Tomandl na louží (Little Tomas of the pond). After Tomandl's death in the second half of the 1560s, the house passed down to his son, Filip Nuss, who was a clerk for the Rožmberks. After Filip's death (1597) his widow married Florián Ronner who took on the house with all of its contents.
From records of the subsequent changes in ownership, it is clear that even back then, the house was understood to be exceptional. This is evident from its price. For instance, in 1640, Hans Taupergar sold "The Ronners' House" with stables and brewing equipment to Stefan Reichart for the very high price of 1,100 three-score measures of Meissen groats. Also, at the beginning of the 19th century, the property was valued very highly - between the years 1801 and 1802 its price rose from 2,263 gold coins to 4,000 gold coins. In those days, the building belonged to the Town Management Administrator and merchant, Simon Stifter. In the 18th century, it seems that soap making was conducted in the building, but brewing here survived until the 19th century.
Male hermas Conical pillars bearing a human half-figure, breast or head, were some of the favourite painted decorations of Renaissance facades. While the herma (caryatids) located between the windows of the first floor are of more-or-less traditional form of bearded strongmen supporting the cornices, the hermas of the second floor were given the semblence of wierd, armless male torsos, whose half-figures rise out of tangled, twisted pillars, remeniscent of slimy serpents' bodies.